Topic: Bible Scripture: 2 Timothy 3:16–3:17
Title: The Scriptures
2 Timothy 3:16-17
BIG IDEA: The Bible is the necessary, inspired, inerrant, authoritative and sufficient word of God
1) Necessity of the Bible
a) General Revelation
1) Creation- Psalm 19:1 The heavens declare the glory of God
Romans 1:19-20 “for what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely his eternal power and divine nature have been clearly perceived ever since the creation in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.”
2) Conscience- Romans 2:14-16 for when Gentiles who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. They show that the word of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even escuse them on that day when according to my gospel, God justdes the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.
3) Common grace- Acts14:17- Yet he did not leave himself without witness, for he did good by giving you rains from heaven and fruitful seasons, satisfying your hearts with food and gladness.
b) Special Revelation- Heb 1:1-2 “Long ago at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son.
2) Inspiration of the Bible
2 Timothy 3:16-17 All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.
2 Peter 1:20-21- no prophecy comes from someone’s own interpretation. For no prophecy was ever spoken by the will of man but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
b) Verbal plenary inspiration
Matt 5:18 “For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished.
3. Canonicity of the Bible
4. Authority of the Bible
John 17:17 sanctify them in your word, your word is truth.
Prov 30:5-6 Every word of God proves true…do not add to his words, lest he rebuke you and you be found a liar.
A word about translations:
- Word for word (formal equivalence)
- Thought for Thought (dynamic equivalence)
5) Sufficiency of the Bible
2 Peter 1:3 His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him…
Deut 29:29 The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.
a) Clarity of the Bible
Psalm 19:7 The testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple-
John 16:13 when the Spirit of truth comes he will guide you into all the truth
1 Cor 2:14 The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand they because they are spiritually discerned.
b) Interpretation of the Bible
How should I live?