Topic: Prayer Scripture: Habakkuk 3:1–3:15
From a horizontal perspective to a vertical one through prayer.
1. Pray for future grace in light of God’s past grace (vv. 1-2)
2. Meditate on who God is and what He’s done (vv. 3-16)
Tim Keller- “Meditation is taking God’s truth down into our hearts until it catches fire and begins to melt and shape our reactions to God…It’s thinking a truth out and then thinking a truth in until it overwhelms, until the reality of God is sensed upon the heart.”
4 aspects of God Habakkuk mediates on:
a. God's glory- vv.3-4-
b. God's grandness- V. 5-8-
c. God’s holy nature- V. 9-12-
d. God’s rescuing- vv.13-15-
Framework for meditation:
1. Instruction (what does this passage want us to believe or do)
2. Thanksgiving (how does this lead us to praise/thank God)
3. Confession (how does this passage lead us to repent and confess sin)
4. Prayer (how does this passage prompt us to appeal to God). Do you meditate on God?