Rest in God's Word
Topic: Bible Scripture: Psalm 19
BIG IDEA: Our God speaks…listen.
1. General Revelation: God speaks through the sky (1-6)
A. What’s he telling us? God exists. 1 The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims his handiwork.
B. How is he telling us? Through a wordless message (a message you have to see)-
2 Day to day pours out speech, and night to night reveals knowledge. 3 There is no speech, nor are there words, whose voice is not heard. 4 Their voice goes out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world.
C. How glorious is God? In them he has set a tent for the sun, 5 which comes out like a bridegroom leaving his chamber, and, like a strong man, runs its course with joy. 6 It’s rising is from the end of the heavens, and its circuit to the end of them, and there is nothing hidden from its heat.
2. Special Revelation: God speaks through the Scripture (7-11)
A. Bible benefits
1. God’s word is sufficient- 7 The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul;
2. God’s word makes one wise-the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple-
3. God’s word brings joy- 8 the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart;
4. God’s word brings clarity- the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes-
5. God’s word is eternal- 9 the fear of the Lord is clean, enduring forever;
6. God’s word is truth- the rules of the Lord are true, and righteous altogether.
B. Bible value:
10 More to be desired are they than gold, even much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and drippings of honeycomb. 11 Moreover, by them is your servant warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
How ought we respond to God’s speaking?
3. Our Response: Be a Biblical Person (12-14)
2 types of sin:
1. Prideful ignorance-12 Who can discern his errors? Declare me innocent from hidden faults.
2. Prideful arrogance- 13 Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me! Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression.
14 Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.
Be in the word of God everyday, read!